Wellness: It’s a Journey (with a lot of stops along the way!)
As we get settled into 2017, we’re thinking about what it means to live well in the New Year. The thing about wellness is that it’s not a destination—it’s a journey. It’s the small, everyday choices we make about what we eat, what we do and how we live.
SAMSA has created eight dimensions of wellness. This is a great guideline you can reference to see all the factors contributing to your well-being:
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
Immersing yourself in an ideal environment to choose wellness each day is a great place to start. Maybe you’re already there, or maybe 2017 is the perfect time to start incorporating new habits into your routine.
- Take advantage of an active social life
- Exploring the world around you (near and far)
- Cultural and spiritual events
- Giving back to those in need
- Getting plenty of sleep
- Lots of fresh air in beautiful outdoor spaces
Living a full, balanced life: it’s what wellness is all about and something we embrace here at Ávila! Check out some of our amazing resident photography to get inspired to live your best life.