Fall Prevention Tips for Seniors
Every 11 seconds, an older adult needs emergency medical care due to fall-related injuries. It’s hard to imagine that one in four adults in the US will fall every year. The great news is that there are simple steps you can take to reduce your risk!
Fall prevention tips for seniors:
- Build your balance, strength and flexibility by joining a good exercise program. Find a class you love–you can even take a friend! See Avila’s fitness class calendar here.
- Talk to your healthcare provider and provide a full history of any fall-related incidents or injuries. You should also get an assessment of your own risk of falling.
- When you visit your doctor or pharmacist, do a complete review of all medications you’re currently taking. Certain medications can increase your risk, and you should only take your medications as they are prescribed.
- Every year, get your vision and hearing checked. These are two of your most important tools! Make sure your eyeglasses or contacts are updated based on any changes.
- Do a full assessment of your home for safety and risk factors. Remove anything that could cause you to trip. Increase lighting for improved visibility. Make sure your stairs are safe, and install grab bars where needed.
- Speak up! Enlist the support of your family and friends. Being part of a great, supportive community is key. Falls are not just an issue for seniors–everyone can benefit from awareness! Educate those around you and encourage them to participate in the preventative steps.
You can learn more about this important issue by visiting the National Council on Aging (NCOA) website here. https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention.
You can also watch this great video on the six steps here!
To stay updated on our community fitness classes and more, follow us on Facebook.